Foreign investment in Thailand is regulated by a range of legislation, official policies and Thai participation requirements. In particular, the Foreign Business Act of 1999 (FBA) provides that companies with 50% or more foreign ownership are not permitted to engage in a wide range of business activities, unless holding a foreign business license (which, in practice, can be difficult to obtain). Severe penalties apply to violating the FBA or using nominee shareholdings to evade its restrictions. Investment incentives offered by the Board of Investment and Industrial Estates Authority of Thailand aim meanwhile at promoting Thailand’s economic and industrial development and those organizations can grant relief from restrictions imposed under the FBA and other laws. Treaties and free trade agreements can also provide exceptions to those restrictions.
We possess an in-depth knowledge of both the legal and practical requirements for clients to invest in Thailand, obtaining licenses where required, seeking protection where necessary or beneficial under any applicable treaty or international agreement, and obtaining incentives and privileges where available. We have the contacts and the knowledge that translate into valued added results for ourclients.
Among our services:
• Represented a leading amusement equipment provider as its sole legal counsel since the commencement of its pre-operations in Thailand in 2010. In this capacity, we have assisted our client in import “The Bangkok Sky Wheels” by A.T.A. CARNET promotion for Commercial Samples Exhibitions for 12 months and start operation in 2013 at Asiatique the River Front, obtaining an Alien Business License, and all other compliance matters.
• Represented a successful Malaysian logistics company in establishing a foreign direct investment company, obtaining a BOI and Alien Business Certificate, and all other compliance matters.
• Represented a world’s leading online marketing company, organize the business structure and secured an Alien Business License for our client.
• Represented a leading English online study as its sole legal counsel, obtaining an Alien Business License, and all other compliance matters.
• Prepared the application dossier and all additional documentation required to establish a 100% foreign-owned company engaging in the online marketing and campaign.